Friday, April 1, 2011

The Lessons We Teach

*This is something that's hit me hard this week.  It's not about Hayden's illness specifically but it is about being a parent and teacher to those we love.  Enjoy!

When I was growing up, people often told me “You’re going to be a teacher someday.”  I’m not sure if it was because I made my 4 year old brother learn everything I did when I went to kindergarten or that I wanted to write on my chalkboard all the time.  Or maybe it was because I was always pegged teacher’s helper in class.  Who knows…it was probably all the above and I’m sure those that are reading this whom I grew up with remember it all well!
I’ve always struggled with this.  Should I have been a teacher?  Did I miss God’s calling on my life?  Should I go back to school? (AGAIN!)  In my relatively short time as a daughter of Christ, I’ve learned many things.  One of which is that we are all teachers.  Our classroom may not be traditional, but I can assure you that Christ’s wasn’t either. 
Every time I hug my children, I teach them about Love.  Every time I do what I said I was going to do, I teach them Accountability.  Every time I forgive someone who has hurt me, I teach them Grace.  Every time I don’t pick up after myself, I teach them how to be Careless with what they’ve been given.  Every time I raise my voice over something petty, I teach them that it’s ok to let “The Stuff” get the best of me. 
Wherever we go, whatever we do, we set an example for others whether we want to or not…we teach them.  Over the past few weeks, this has hit me like a ton of bricks.  I AM living out one of God’s callings on my life..to be a teacher.  Now, whether I’m being successful with it is debatable but I feel like He’s pushing me right now to teach and He’s changed my definition of a teacher.  Unless we’re living all alone in the middle of a forest or on an island, we’re a teacher.   How do I know this?  I see my kids mimic everything I do and say.  I have taught them to say the things I say and do the things I do…not because they sat through Mommy 101 each day but simply because they watched me on good days and bad days.  There are many things in life that make my heart happy and the list includes:
·         Picking Hayden up and receiving the biggest hug a 20 month old can give.
·         Hearing Richard and Emma pray The Lord’s Prayer every night.
·         Watching Emma take a cookie for her and one to give to her older brother that she adores.
·         Being given a flower that Emma has thoughtfully chosen.
·         Having Richard ask me to put an extra snack in his backpack in the morning in case one of his classmates doesn’t have one.
Seeing my children reciprocate the love that they’re given is the single greatest moment for me as a mom..a teacher.  I praise God for using me this way and showing me what His definition of a teacher is.  I only hope my good lessons far outweigh the bad ones! 

No comments:

Post a Comment