Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Progress!



I’ve been struggling since we returned to Cincinnati on how and what to write about our trip.  I write when I feel led to write and I’ve been trying to figure out what God wants me to say this time around.  He continues to teach me so much about my faith, my children, my marriage…my life…through this.  As difficult as this process is to go through and watch Hayden go through, I am amazed and forever grateful for the lessons that He is teaching me. 
Hayden will be having Airway Reconstruction surgery this summer.  After almost two years of illnesses, medications, and hospitalizations, it looks like our little guy will be getting some relief!  I am so excited to know that he will be healed soon yet very scared too.  Hayden and I began our adventure last Wednesday evening and arrived in Ohio about 1:15 am.  I didn’t realize that we would be crossing into the Eastern Time Zone until last week, so our 6 hour trip took 7 hours according to the clock.  I definitely felt the loss of time when the alarm rang for our 8:45 am appointment Thursday morning!
My first impressions of Cincinnati Children’s during our phone calls over the past few months were quickly replaced when we got to the hospital Thursday morning.  Everyone, and I do mean EVERYONE, was incredibly helpful, thoughtful, and encouraging. ..all the things that I needed on this trip. 
Hayden’s physical with the Gastrointerologist went well.  He did suggest that we contact a speech therapist to help with some eating issues that he’s having.  One more doctor to add to my list.  J  I am very thankful that God gave me two healthy kiddos in Richard and Emma….coordinating appointments and taking care of Hayden is a full time job in itself. 
After Hayden’s appointment, we had an entire day to enjoy so we went to the Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden for a few hours.  Hayden loved the animals, especially the turkey in the Children’s Zoo.    
Friday was the big day.  We arrived at the hospital, got all checked in and met Dr. Cotton for the first time.  Hayden was still in a great mood (I think he liked having me all to himself!) and he wouldn’t stop charming the nurses.  The nurses were amazing and kept him entertained with bubbles and toys while the anesthesiologist talked to me about his procedures.  We took him back to the operating room just before 9.  I say “we” because I was able to go with him and helped give him his anesthesia as well.  That was a first but it helped Hayden feel more comfortable with the situation.  He quickly fell asleep in my arms and they wheeled him into the operating room. 
The procedures took about 20 minutes!  I was shocked to hear my name called so quickly.  I was able to talk to Dr. Cotton first, while the Gastrointerologist finished placing the impedence probe. 
Hayden’s little airway is smaller than a newborn’s!  Now that we know what we’re up against, we know what we need to do to get him better.  We’ll be going back to Cincinnati Children’s this summer (hopefully August) for about a 3 week stay.  Dr. Cotton will graft cartilage from Hayden’s rib and use it to widen his airway.  He will place a graft in the front and rear of his airway to widen it.  After surgery, we expect him to be intubated (sleeping with breathing assistance) for 3-4 days.  The remaining time in the hospital will be spent in the Airway Unit where he will stay until Dr. Cotton’s final scope a couple of weeks later to check on his progress.  If Hayden gets a good report at that time, we will be discharged and head back to Alabama. 
We can’t wait to get our little guy better!  He’s been illness free since about January with the exception of a few coughs here and there.  Three more months and we pray that we get him fixed for good! 

No comments:

Post a Comment